The City of Covington collects traffic count information throughout the City. This information is collected to support many City activities, including:
- Concurrency testing,
- Design of new street projects,
- New project identification,
- Signal timing,
- Street system performance monitoring, and
- Traffic forecast modeling.
The City primarily collects two types of traffic counts:
- Daily Traffic Counts – Tube Counts: These counts are collected on street segments and represent average traffic volumes tabulated on a daily basis for weekdays.
- Intersection Turning Movements: These counts are collected, usually for one day, at intersections during the AM, mid-day, and/or PM peak travel periods.