The City of Covington’s Parks and Recreation Department is now open for registration for Winter classes.Winter classes will begin in January and run through March. New this Winter are dance classes through Encore Dance for dancers from age 2-9, Parenting the Love and Logic Way for parents, teachers, and caregivers of any age children, and Dog Obedience to teach your pet basic manners. Please call the Covington Parks and Recreation office at (253) 480-2480 to register for classes. Online registration is also available for most classes.
- Come learn how to be responsible and safe in any situation. We will cover family communication, first aid, internet, gun, phone, and door safety. Parents are invited back for the last half hour of class for a video presentation and discussion.
|Safe at Home||12202||$30.00||Sat||Feb 14, 2015||2:00 PM-4:00 PM||Ages 8-12|
- Boys and Girls, come for a day of fun while earning your Super Sitters Certificate. This class will cover leadership and the business of babysitting, basic care for children, understanding children of different age groups, and safety and first aid. Bring a sack lunch and snack to class. Register early as this class fills quickly.
|Super Sitters||12201||$65.00||Sat||Feb 14, 2015||9:00 AM - 2:00 PM||Ages 11-16|
We know that you are tired of your dog pulling on the leash, running off instead of coming to you, and jumping up on everyone. We have a plan to help you. Enroll in our results based, pain free, introductory dog training class, and your dog will learn to sit and stay, walk nicely on leash, come when you call, and lie down and relax. You will be shown how to use these behaviors in real life situations, with and without treats. Your dog will learn to socialize with other dogs calmly and sit to say hello to people. You will receive customized solutions to help with the behavior problems you are having at home. The result will be a well trained dog that listens consistently, even when distracted by other things.
Basic Manners is designed for dogs who are non-aggressive towards dog and people.
|Dog Obedience Basic Manners||12280||$95.00||Tue||Feb 10, 2015 - Mar 24, 2015||7:05 PM - 8:05 PM||Ages 16+|
Six weekly 1.5-hour sessions gives you techniques, exercises, and tips for parenting of kids of all ages: infants through teens.
In this course you will learn how to:
- Put an end to whining and arguing
- Reduce the chances of power struggles
- Help kids learn to solve their own problems
- Gain respect and cooperation by sharing control
- Learn how to stay calm when you are frustrated or angry
- Create effective consequencesAppropriate for parents, teachers, and caregivers of any age children. $15 supply fee for course book paid to instructor on the first day of class.
|Parenting the Love and Logic Way||12267||
$35.00 for single
$60.00 for couple
|Thu||Feb 5, 2015 - Mar 19, 2015||7:15 PM - 8:45 PM||Ages 18+|
If you like planes, trains and automobiles, then this unit is for you! Each week, you will build motorized LEGO models of a dragster, a railroad crossing gate, an airplane and more. Explore the history of transportation from horse and buggy and trains to the development of the automobile and flight. Each lesson introduces terminology related to each mode of transportation, like "lift and propulsion" for the airplane, as well as describes how each "vehicle" works. And the best part is - the LEGO models are so much fun to play with! Lots of building fun ahead with motorized models of a train, car, dragster and airplane. These models rock, roll and spin! You can follow our step-by-step model plans to create a vehicle, then customize it to your own specifications and take their mini figure for a ride!
|Bricks 4 Kidz Planes, Trains, and Automobiles!||12252||$45.00||Thu||Feb 5, 2015 - Feb 26, 2015||4:00 PM - 5:00 PM||Ages 5 - 12|
|Bricks 4 Kidz Planes, Trains, and Automobiles!||12253||$45.00||Thu||Mar 12, 2015 - Mar 26, 2015||4:00 PM - 5:00 PM||Ages 5 - 12|
Mining and Crafting Camp!
Running on "survival" mode? Get "creative" and join crafting forces with us! Experience the world of Minecraft in this fun and interactive camp. You will begin with crafting their shelters using special Minecraft LEGO bricks. Each day you will face new challenges building motorized models, and crafting mobs, critters, tools and elements from the popular Minecraft game. Motorized models using LEGO bricks, gears and motors will maximize the action and fun! Get a free mini creeper model and a certificate at the end of the camp!
Campers please bring a light snack.
|Bricks 4 Kidz President's Break Camp||12258||$200.00||Mon-Thu||Feb 16, 2015 - Feb 19, 2015||1:00 PM - 4:00 PM||Ages 5 - 12|
- Come join the "fitness party" and dance your way to fitness using fun, high-energy Latin and international rhythms. It's easy to do effective and exhilarating. Wear your workout clothes; comfortable, low-traction shoes and bring a bottle of water. No dance experience is necessary. Ladies only!
|Zumba||12261||$36.00||Tue/Thu||Jan 6, 2015 - Jan 29, 2015||5:55 PM - 6:55 PM||Ages 14+|
|Zumba||12262||$22.50||Tue/Thu||Feb 5, 2015 - Feb 26, 2015||5:55 PM - 6:55 PM||Ages 14+|
|Zumba||12263||$40.50||Tue/Thu||Mar 3, 2015 - Mar 31, 2015||5:55 PM - 6:55 PM||Ages 14+|
Encore Dance Productions is a place where students of all ages learn proper dance technique in many different styles in a fun, relaxed atmostphere. Current trends are incorporated in weekly dance instruction which culminates in an annual performance recital. Creativity, artistic style and technical skills form the backbone of the dance curriculum for each class.
|Dance: Ballet & Tap||12288||$110.00||Thu||Jan 15, 2015 - Apr 2, 2015||4:15 PM - 5:00 PM||Ages 5 - 6|
|Dance: Ballet/Tap/Jazz Combo||12285||$110.00||Thu||Jan 15, 2015 - Apr 2, 2015||5:00 PM - 5:50 PM||Ages 7 - 9|
|Dance: Creative Movement/Pre-Ballet & Tap||12286||$100.00||Thu||Jan 22, 2015 - Apr 2, 2015||10:30 AM - 11:15 AM||Ages 2 - 4|
- Kidz Love Soccer has a team of trained instructors that love teaching and bring a lot of energy and enthusiasm to the soccer field. Using our field-tested and age-appropriate proprietary curriculum, our youth classes teach kids all the fundamentals of soccer in a high-energy, non-competitive program designed to encourage good sportsmanship and a love for sports.
|Kidz Love Soccer 2: Skillz & Scrimmages||12256||$64.00||Wed||Mar 11, 2015 - Apr 15, 2015||4:00 PM - 4:45 PM||Ages 7-10|
|Kidz Love Soccer: Soccer 1 Techniques and Teamwork||12254||$64.00||Wed||Mar 11, 2015 - Apr 15, 2015||4:45 PM - 5:30 PM||Ages 5-6|
|Kidz Love Soccer: Tot/Pre-Soccer||12255||$64.00||Wed||Mar 11, 2015 - Apr 15, 2015||5:30 PM - 6:05 PM||Ages 3.5-5|
|Kidz Love Soccer: Mommy/Daddy & Me||12257||$64.00||Wed||Mar 11, 2015 - Apr 15, 2015||6:15 PM - 6:45 PM||Ages 2-3.5|
This camp is taught by former professional baseball and MLB scout Steve Goucher. During the camp, baseball instruction and fundamentals of baseball throwing, catching, and fielding, as well as base running will be taught. Students will also play scrimmage games. Each participant needs to bring a glove.
|Steve Goucher Spring Break Baseball Camp||12284||$79.00||Thu & Fri||Apr 9, 2015 - Apr 10, 2015||10:00 AM - 12:00 PM||Ages 8-13|
The following classes will be held at Hart’s Gymnastic Center www.hartsgymnastics.com
At Hart’s Gymnastic Center we combine the fun with fitness while offering you the best gymnastic instruction in the Northwest!
- Gymnastics Girls (Ages 6 - 12)
- Gymnastics Boys (Ages 6 - 12)
- Preschool (Ages 3 - 5)
- Movement (Ages 16 mos - 3 years)
Our three day Holiday Gymnastic Camp will be offering crafts, T-shirt, and a gymnastics medal. We will also be working on all events, tramp, and playing in our Wacky World inflatable. All a part of a fun three days at Hart's gymnastics. Hart's will provide a simple snack and campers should bring a sack lunch.
|Gymnastics Spring Break Camp||12203||$100.00||Mon-Wed||Apr 6, 2015 - Apr 8, 2015||8:00 AM - 3:00 PM||Ages 6-12|
- Martial Arts Coed, Ages 4-9 (Tues/Thurs and Sat option available)
- Martial Arts Coed, Ages 10+ (Tues/Thurs and Sat option available)