Serving The Cities of Covington, Maple Valley, and Black Diamond
The Covington Domestic Violence Task Force promotes a strong message that "Domestic Violence Has No Place in Our Community" through collaborative leadership, communication, education and victim support.
The Covington Domestic Violence Task Force (CDVTF) was formed in June of 2004 with the mission of educating the community; providing awareness of domestic violence issues to businesses; and offering resources, support, and practical services to victims and their children. The Task Force is part of the Regional DVTF team - a partnership of two other cities in South King County. Meetings are open to the public and members welcome the support of those who have an interest in creating a positive change to end the cycle of abuse.
- Raise awareness of domestic violence and how it affects the community as a whole.
- Provide assistance and referrals to victims and their families.
- Work to support legislative policies that meet victim needs and hold perpetrators accountable.
TASK FORCE ACTIVITIES AND ACHIEVEMENTS:
- Created the Purple Light Nights™ an annual awareness event - October.
- Annual participation in the Covington Days Festival and Parade - July.
- Partners in the Covington Rotary Domestic Violence Take a Step Against Domestic Violence 5K walk/run- October.
- Host of the annual Purple Light Nights Tree Lighting community event - last saturday in Sept.
- Host of the annual Regional DV Task Force training for first responders & advocates - May.
- Provided DV information packets to 151 businesses in Covington - 2006.
- Provided safe housing for victims of abuse.
- Attended Domestic Violence Lobby Day in Olympia.
- Official 501(c)(3) non-profit status.
- Communitas Award for Community Partnership - 2010
Monthly meetings are the second Thursday, 12:00-1:00 p.m., at Covington City Hall.
For information call: Victoria at 253-480-2411
President - Victoria Throm
Treasurer - Keith Beach
Secretary - Noreen Beaufrere
ADVISORY BOARD MEMBERS:
Jeff Wagner, Covington City Mayor
Mechee Burnett, King County Sheriff's - Precinct #3 Community Services Officer
Victoria Throm, Co-Founder
Pat Sullivan, 47th Legislative District Representative
Curt Lindsley, co-founder
Margaret Richter, Community member
*If you are interested in serving on the Advisory Board, please contact Victoria for an application.
Help Make Every Home a Safe Home,
Be Part of the Domestic Violence Task Force!
- DAWN Rising
- YWCA of Seattle/King County
- South King County Domestic Violence Collaborative
- Covington Rotary (funder)
- Covington Kiwanis
- Jennnifer Beach Foundation
- City of Covington
- MultiCare Health Center (funder)